[OSM-dev] mapnik svg bug: include placename as text

Jonathan Chetwynd j.chetwynd at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 10 15:19:52 GMT 2011

see previous email for why I cannot file a bug at present.

enhancement: incorporate xml placenames as text in SVG exported from
mapnik

mapnik currently exports to SVG, but place names and other text in the
original xml is changed to glyphs.
this is awful from an accessibility perspective, and hard to
understand the reason.

it also devalues the content, for repurposing, for instance a simple
xslt transform would produce a gazetteer from the xml,
but a search of the svg source indicates that no place names are
present.

regards

jonathan chetwynd
http://www.peepo.com

I originally raised this issue in 2004/5