[OSM-dev] License Change View on OSM Inspector

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 12 10:08:47 GMT 2011

Hi,

    I've added a world-wide license change map to OSM Inspector:

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=wtfe&lon=-1.80469&lat=35.88371&zoom=2&overlays=overview,wtfe_point_harmless,wtfe_line_harmless,wtfe_point_modified,wtfe_line_modified_cp,wtfe_line_modified,wtfe_point_created,wtfe_line_created_cp,wtfe_line_created

This is based on the per-object data I have on wtfe.gryph.de, combined
with a current planet file. The view is updated nightly, and drawn on
OSMI using a large bitmap for the smaller zoom levels, and detailed
shape files for the higher zooms.

The shape files and overview bitmap can be downloaded separately from a
temporary server (http://176.9.53.72/); the shape files are probably the
easiest starting point for someone who wants to draw their own maps or
make other analyses. They are quite large though (more than 1 GB each)
so don't expect to be able to just open them in QGis ;)

Statistics are available on http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html,
an detailed documentation on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping/ODbL%20Layer%20on%20OSM%20Inspector.

I'm not sending this to talk/twitter/blogs etc just yet because I was
hoping that some of you might test drive the service and do a few spot
checks to see if it does what it is supposed to do. Such a spot check
would typically consist of zooming in to an area where something is red
or orange, clicking on the object to see its ID, then use the OSM data
browser to look at the object history to see if that object really has a
relicensing issue.

I'm happy for technical discussion to take place here but I'll send a
similar message to legal-talk so that if there are questions more legal
than technical, they can be discussed there.

Bye
Frederik