[OSM-dev] An update on github.com/openstreetmap

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 06:59:31 GMT 2011

I've written an ABOUT file about github.com/openstreetmap linked from
its main profile page:
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-mirror/blob/master/ABOUT.md

github.com/openstreetmap used to just contain Subversion mirrors, then
it contained some Git mirrors, and as of some time ago it's starting
to host canonical projects as well.

If you'd like to have a repository or team hosted under that
organization by all means contact me or bastik and we'll set it up.

I'd like to present this as an alternative to hosting projects on
http://svn.openstreetmap.org or http://git.openstreetmap.org.

The reason being that I think that Git is better, and that the GitHub
interface makes collaboration much easier, but it's still very nice to
be able to find related projects in the same place.

I also don't want this organization account to be something that has a
bus factor of one. So as well as bastik and I being owners of the
organization I've made Tom Hughes an owner of it as well. If you'd
like to help with admining it (particularly if you do admining for OSM
already) contact any one of us and we can make you an owner of the
organization as well.