[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql memory usage

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 7 19:00:42 GMT 2011

Hi,

    when you run osm2pgsql in slim mode with a large cache, then could
it not release the cache memory once it reaches the "Sorting data and
creating indexes" stage? It is this phase where postgresql tends to
consume a lot of memory for index creation, and the specific settings on
the machine I'm running it on at the moment have led to all of
osm2pgsql's 10 GB being swapped out - which, if the memory is really
unused, isn't a big deal but I wonder if the memory could not have been
freed anyway?

Bye
Frederik