[OSM-dev] OpenID for OpenStreetMap?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Feb 10 09:15:01 GMT 2011

On 10/02/11 00:46, Samat K Jain wrote:

> Recent discussions on IRC have been making me want to bring up—why does OpenStreetMap not yet support OpenID?

Because there are a few outstanding issues with the implementation (yes,
we have an implementation) that we need to resolve first.

Actually, they're mostly not with the implementation but with the fact
that the unit tests are currently broken on that branch. I know how to
fix that now, but I haven't had time to do it.

> Apparently, OpenID is already (mostly) implemented in a dev install of the rails port:
>
>   http://openid.dev.openstreetmap.org/
>
> It doesn't appear to work anymore, however; at least I'm unable to login with my normal OSM credentials and associate my OpenID with them.

Your normal OSM credentials won't work, no. That's a test server using a
separate database.

Frankly though a bigger question is whether we want to. I've never been
that convinced because OpenID just doesn't seem to be getting the
necessary traction to really work.

On top which some fairly high profile sites have even started dropping
support for it now!

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)