[OSM-dev] OpenID for OpenStreetMap?

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 20:30:41 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 07:24:32PM +0000, Matt Amos wrote:
> i might be missing the point here, but are you suggesting that OSM
> would be an openID provider, consumer or both?

I see no need for OSM to become an OpenID provider, there are plenty out
there already, both dedicated and attached to email services.

> my understanding is that openID would be usable on the website to
> generate an OAuth token, which would then be used to access the API.
> this seems like a good enough solution to me, but i could be missing
> something.

It should probably be implemented independent of the OAuth mechanism,
because of the different purposes they serve, but I’m not expert on the
interaction between the two, so maybe it’s still good.

> the devil's in the details and the SMOP. for instance, case
> sensitivity of usernames, allowable characters, length and other
> conditions. iirc, this wasn't a big deal when the wiki was set up, and
> many people signed up with the same username. but since then things
> have drifted a little bit (including the slightly inadvertent switch
> to case-sensitive usernames for the main site) and it seems like way
> more trouble than it's worth to transition now.

The user name need not be the same as the OpenID identifier, and when I
have seen it implemented along with other identification and
authentication mechanisms it often isn’t.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall