[OSM-dev] OpenID for OpenStreetMap?

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 22:01:21 GMT 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emacsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Matt Amos <zerebubuth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i might be missing the point here, but are you suggesting that OSM
>> would be an openID provider, consumer or both?
>
> I'm suggesting that instead of taking on a technology, we take on a
> set of requirements, or needs, and address them. And from there I'm
> saying that OpenID itself is a side issue.

ok - so what's the problem, or "requirement" in corporate-speak, that
we're trying to address here?

>>> The second issue is OpenID support in general.
>>>
>>> MHO on the issue is that while it might seem that OpenID support is
>>> great and widely useful, I think there are a number of implementation
>>> issues and concerns which are really hard to overcome.
>>>
>>> For example, how does one handle OpenID with an API? This has been
>>> discussed in other contexts, and unfortunately there's no good single
>>> answer.
>>
>> my understanding is that openID would be usable on the website to
>> generate an OAuth token, which would then be used to access the API.
>> this seems like a good enough solution to me, but i could be missing
>> something.
>
> That sounds like it makes non-web based editors hard to develop.

nope. the user has to log into the website to authorize an OAuth token
- what does it matter whether they log in via the usual username and
password or OpenID? certainly it doesn't matter to the editor, even if
it's doing some sort of ugly hack like JOSM's "fully automatic" mode.

cheers,

matt