[OSM-dev] OSM formats optimised for client-side vector rendering?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Feb 17 10:20:30 GMT 2011

Hi,

Much of the stuff I'm working on or have been recently involves loading OSM data from file or the web, and rendering it client side (e.g. WebGL OSM viewer and an augmented-reality app for walkers which I'm just starting work on now). Because of this, my server (OSM PostGIS-based) provides OSM data not in the standard .osm format, but in a rendering-optimised format with ways consisting of a series of x,y coords rather than node references, e.g.:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/ws/trsvr.php?x=4079&y=2740&z=13

However I'm wondering if there is any consensus on a "standard" OSM data format optimised for vector rendering. There seems to be the OSM Mobile Binary Protocol though by the looks of things, that's only used in one application: the Symbian app "whereami". So does everyone just use their own or are there any formats used by multiple apps?

Thanks,
Nick