[OSM-dev] open source mapping with polygons?

nittyG nittyjee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:54:44 GMT 2011

I love what openstreetmap has set up, and I would like to help take the idea
further.
With openstreetmap, the focus is on "lines" for transportation
infrastructure. Is there any open source technology that can be deployed
that allows users to create polygons (shapes), and change their
representation, including "time" animation functions?

What I am envisioning is something where a user can create and/or manipulate
polygons to show everything from population density, to rainfall and climate
change, to market flows, to historical maps that
can be animated.
- In the case of population density, a wiki user could simply enter the
latest data, say at the county level of the US, and be able to view it with
increasing shades of red. The user can then view data with increasing or
decreasing granularity, and create a variety of visual representations.
- In the case of historical maps, people could take detailed information
about, say, border changes, and show how the borders changed over time.
Check out this example:
http://www.clockwk.com/centenniavid.htm
And some work I've done with ArcGIS, displaying in Google Earth
(scroll down to "Geographic Information Systems (GIS)"):
http://www.thenittygritty.org/intheworks.html

I would love to collaborate with people to develop and/or deploy something
like this :)

Nitin Gadia
Ames, Iowa, USA