[OSM-dev] OSM formats optimised for client-side vector rendering?

Tim Teulings tim at framstag.com
Thu Feb 17 17:02:01 GMT 2011

Hello!

> However I'm wondering if there is any consensus on a "standard" OSM data
> format optimised for vector rendering. There seems to be the OSM Mobile

No, as for the reason other people already have mentioned. For
libosmscout (clientside *offline* map rendering) the data format requires:
* As much data massaging in the preprocessing, since on the fly style
evaulation must be powerful but fast, too (no time to iterate over list
of strings representing tags).
* The internal *disk* binary format must allow fast search and access
capabilities so database-like mechanisms are used.

For somebody that wants to render small areas on the fly the format is
to heavy and requires too much preprocessing, for somebody that wants to
render any map possible but with no interactive responsivness
requirements for zooming and moving the format is not powerful enough.
There is always a trade of :-/

--
Gruß...
    Tim