[OSM-dev] [Tagging] Retrieving Wikipedia Entries Automatically

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 14:47:05 GMT 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Zhijie Shen <zjshen14 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi developers,

Zhijie,

Please do not cross post messages. Doing so does not make having a
reasonable conversation any easier, it makes having it nearly
impossible because the conversation is fragmented over several lists.

> If you can remember, I've exchange emails with you to discuss the wiki tag
> of OpenStreetMap two days ago.

Do you have a URL to this conversation?

>  Now I have my quick solution, a Wikipedia
> entry crawler, to get more Wikipedia entries automatically. Here I am eager
> to share with you, and wish it can be useful. The single Java class file can
> be downloaded here.

What is "here"?

> The crawler implements the Sink interface of Osmosis, whose OSM XML file
> parsing functionality is leveraged. It extracts the name of entity (e.g.,
> node, way) from the name tag (hence the entities without name are omitted),
> uses it as the parameter to search the candidate Wikipedia entries by
> calling the Wikipedia API, and then judge which entry among the responded
> results is the true one for the corresponding entity.

This is an interesting idea and we're all likely impressed by your
enthusiasm, but there's a huge, huge opportunity for mistakes with
this kind of import, and since you're talking about mucking with the
entire globe, it seems like we should take this conversation slowly.

Where's your source code?

- Serge