[OSM-dev] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] ODbL

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:34:26 GMT 2011

On 10 January 2011 11:41, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> What's it going to take to stop people spamming me about the ODBL?

One man's spam is another's contact from one community member to another.

Put differently, if you edit the map data in somebody's area, you have
no business getting offended if the somebody has occasion to contact
you on a matter of importance to the local map.

>From my own observations in my own country, your edits will be causing
a small but noticeable amount of community effort come licence change.
We'll have to accept that. It's not impossible that some of my local
mappers might even contact you about it - not me, because I happen to
be aware of your feelings on the matter. But, y'know, if you aren't
prepared to talk to people, you should possibly avoid participating in
communities...

Dermot