[OSM-dev] scaling

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 11 07:55:41 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 01/11/11 03:28, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
> I'm willing to bet that Ian's Java XAPI is faster at handling a bbox
> request than Rails is, and so as soon as we can move the requests to
> this implementation, the better, even if the hardware stayed the same.

Bbox queries (aka "the /map call") are currently handled by a reasonably
effective C++ FastCGI implementation (aka "Matt's cgimap") which is, as
far as I can say, probably the best you can do with the underlying
database structure. If Ian's XAPI is able to beat that (and I'm eager to
see results) then it will probably be due to spatial indexing on ways
and relations - which our current database structure doesn't do.

Bye
Frederik