[OSM-dev] "IQ Routes"-style averages from actual users driving the road

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at free.fr
Tue Jan 11 23:15:39 GMT 2011

>>>>> "aa" ==   <lists at whitehouse.org.nz> writes:

  aa> Most OSM tools that I have used (OSMAnd, AndNav2, OpenSatNav etc)
  aa> have options to help OSM by submitting data back to the map (GPS
  aa> traces, corrections etc). I would guess that a large proportion of
  aa> map users would happily submit statistical data on how long it
  aa> took to drive the road segment between intersection 1 and
  aa> intersection 2 (or from speed sign to intersection, if the speed
  aa> changes), or how long they had to wait at an intersection before
  aa> they were able to turn etc. I would also expect that the tools
  aa> using OSM would quickly implement the collection of such
  aa> information if it were able to be submitted.

  Lukas Kabrt wrote some code to implement the data analysis side of
  this idea during the last Google Summer of Code. It works by analyzing
  GPX data. This could in theory work with the current facility for
  uploading GPX tracks to OSM (as long as they are public), but it seems
  likely to me that a dedicated service for saving GPS traces with more
  privacy protection would work better for this usage.

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing/Travel_Time_Analysis

--
Eric Marsden