[OSM-dev] "IQ Routes"-style averages from actual users driving the road

Eric Marsden eric.marsden at free.fr
Mon Jan 17 21:44:18 GMT 2011

>>>>> "aw" == Aaron Whitehouse <lists at whitehouse.org.nz> writes:

  aw> Given that the analysis code is already done, it would be great to have
  aw> a centralised implementation from the official OSM site (and
  aw> downloadable with the map). Then everyone could contribute to a common
  aw> resource.

  For this to work, it really needs to be integrated into a navigation
  application for mobile devices, as already implemented by Tomtom and
  Google for instance. This helps fix the "vehicle category" problem
  that you mention. Collecting data from mobile devices without running
  down the battery too much (low frequency logging, simplifying paths on
  the device to avoid sending overly verbose tracks) and giving people
  an incentive to contribute is a project in itself. Perhaps there could
  be a collaboration with mobile-app consumers of OSM data such as
  Skobbler?

  Furthermore, the data could be used for other purposes, such as
  automatically identifying probable missing roads in OSM, probable
  missing oneway tags, missing turn restrictions, etc.

  I mentored Lukas' project in the last Google Summer of Code, but I
  don't currently have sufficient time/energy to contribute to the
  data collection aspect of this project. If anyone feels enthusiastic,
  go ahead!

--
Eric Marsden