[OSM-dev] Patch to osm2pgsql for faster updates

Lennard ldp at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 23 19:34:10 GMT 2011

On 23-1-2011 18:50, Tom Hughes wrote:

> Do we actually know that 9.0 is ok though? I was basing my comments on a
> single report of some preliminary tests at SOTM last year.

I've been using it on 2 servers for months. While I haven't done proper
testing, it does feel faster than 8.4 which had been on those servers
for at least over a year before.

It seems to depend mostly on your autovacuum settings, since
fastupdate=on will apply the updated index only during a vacuum, or when
the list has grown larger than work_mem.

YMMV

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/gin-implementation.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/gin-implementation.html

9.0 did add the following:

"Use red-black binary trees for GIN index creation (Teodor Sigaev)

Red-black trees are self-balancing. This avoids slowdowns in cases where
the input is in nonrandom order."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/release-9-0.html

--
Lennard