[OSM-dev] OSM-in-a-box, doubts

Juan Lucas Domínguez Rubio juan_lucas_dr at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 08:18:47 GMT 2011

Dear list,

I am trying to use Osm-in-a-box to keep a synchronized Postgis DB.

I am doing a little test with the data of Iceland which should be about 0.06 % of the whole OSM database (size of iceland.osm.bz2 is about 8 MB) and it seems to be very slow (took 2 hours)

The command was:

sudo ./osm2gis.sh --initial-import  -h localhost -d osmiceland  -u postgres -p postgres -f /mnt/data/iceland_25_01_2011.osm.bz2

With a simple rule of three, we should expect that the whole planet would need 2 * 1600 = 3200 hours (about 4 months) to be imported.

Any general thoughts about Osm-in-a-box?
Anybody is keeping a synchronized DB by using OSM-in-a-box?
Is there a better mailing list than this to get help about this?

Regards
Juan Lucas