[OSM-dev] Osm2pgsql: Proposal to rename or ignore system and extra-attributes like osm_id and osm_user to save disk space

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 10:43:58 BST 2011

In osm2pgsql I'm using options --hstore-all (for analyzing tags) and
--extra-attributes (for maintaining osm_version).

Now, while I can control the tag entries that are taken as attributes
(in the style file), I can't help that hstore is stuffed with
extra-attributes like "osm_user" or "osm_timestamp". This "hurts" the
database since they are text and e.g. "osm_user" is completely
redundant with "osm_uid" (an OSM db design fault to be enhanced
elsewhere anyway).

So to save disk space and resources my feature request is being able
to control which extra-attributes go into hstore - or at least simply
ignoring "osm_user" while parsing input stream.

And: Controlling the naming of id and version attributes in osm_point,
osm_line and osm_polygon (like the table names) is another item on my
wish list. Now its hard coded as "osm_id" and "osm_version".

Yours, S.