[OSM-dev] tips to reduce bulk tiles downloads ?

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Jul 29 14:36:13 BST 2011

sylvain letuffe wrote:

>> and a penalty for
>> missing/fake agents.
>
> How do you know what are fake agents ?
>

>From the download pattern. Humans have a linear distribution of tile
requests with most in zoom 14 and 15. Tile scrapers show an exponential
increase with higher zoom levels. So if something claims to be a browser but
requests tiles exponentially, it is blocked very quickly. With some authors
I have agreements that their applications only request up to zoom 15 because
those tiles are pre-rendered. If an agent claims to be that application and
exceeds zoom 15 it is banned immediately.

sylvain letuffe wrote:

>> Do you have any idea who is causing the load?
>
> By far the one with more hits (before I rate limited hits) looks strange :
> It's refererer is :
> file:///Applications/Install/83F78CDD-FB29-E011-854C-00237DE2DB9E/Install/
> and user agent is : NativeHost

file: referrers hints at a local test installation somewhere. So it might be
a single person using/copying your map in a local development copy of a
website. Are the requests coming from a single IP for a while or are they
mixed.

sylvain letuffe wrote:

> The second one has what looks a fake user-agent :
> "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.0.3705;)"
> (sequential download and IE 6.0, seriously ;-) )
>
> Then comes (or alike):
> "Dalvik/1.2.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; LS670 Build/FRG83G)"

The first looks fake, the second does not ring a bell except that it's
likely something on Android. But a per zoom level limit should help.

sylvain letuffe wrote:

> <troll>But android apps seams more friendly with my server as I didn't
> find
> what looks bulk dowloads. android devs more respectfull ? ;-) </troll>

That seems rather random - I am having the most trouble with an Android app.