[OSM-dev] tips to reduce bulk tiles downloads ?

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Fri Jul 29 20:27:10 BST 2011

sylvain letuffe wrote:

> Are you using mod_tile ? does it permit all that ? have you an other queue
> management/penalty/rate limiting software ?

The server uses mod_tile, but I am not using any of the throttling
mechanisms.

I have a seperate application that analyses the tile requests in the apache
log file. When it detects a violation of the usage policy, that IP is
blacklisted. All further requests are being redirected to a blocking tile
with an "Access denied" message.

sylvain letuffe wrote:

> I had a private email from someone from the list who tried to search
> google
> for the strange "83F78CDD-FB29-E011-854C-00237DE2DB9E" string and found
> the
> culprit.
> That's a windows phone apps claiming to provide "off live browsing" (wich
> suppose means tile scraping ;-) ) for a lot of map providers among which
> mine
> is listed

Well, if you are feeling friendly, you can contact the author and negotiate
a solution. Or you just block those agents completely and wait for them to
contact you.

BTW: Do you have clear usage conditions posted on your site?

by

              Nop