[OSM-dev] which tool is better for osm data import to postgres

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 13:01:32 BST 2011

Hi Oliver

2011/6/5 Oliver Tonnhofer <olt at omniscale.de>:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On 05.06.2011, at 01:09, Stefan Keller wrote:
>> I'm the project leader of osm2gis.
>> I've tried to do a characterization of the projects mentioned before:
>> http://dev.ifs.hsr.ch/redmine/projects/osminabox/wiki/Wiki
>

> Thanks for the comparison.
> I'm the author of Imposm, so I have some clarifications :)
>
> It is written in Python and _uses_ C/C++ libraries.

I've added that.

> (...) it is similar to osm2pgsql, but it offers lots of features that are not possible with osm2pgsql.
> It supports custom database schemas with separate tables for each data type (highways,
> buildings, waterareas, etc.), unified values (e.g. tunnel as true/false instead of 1/yes/true/t/0/no/...), generalized tables, etc.

So this seems to be similar with our osm2gis.
osm2gis supports also diff update but we had problems importing whole
planet. So we concentrated on managing regions which in turn makes
diff update complicated (because diffs are always against whole
planet).
=> Did you manage to import whole planet?

> In short, it does everything to make the fastest rendering possible and this is one of the reasons that Imposm is used
> for the annual WMS benchmarking at the FOSS4G in Denver.

Oh, I thought that will be our osm2gis :->

> I think it would be a great idea to move your comparison to the OSM wiki, so that everyone can extend the list of features. What do you think?

Good idea - but where? There's already
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Software/Desktop but now it seems
to be a need for "Tools to import OSM data into PostgreSQL for
rendering, servicing and editing use cases".

Yours, Stefan