[OSM-dev] XAPI and using a home server

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Sun Mar 6 15:25:54 GMT 2011

> The only thing is that it ends with:
>     "runtime error: open64: 2 ./db/area_tags_local.bin File_Blocks:1"
> and does not provide the closing </osm-derived> tag.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on what might cause that?

Yes, it's a bug in the software. Thank you for reporting it. First, for a
feasible workaround please place empty files with names
area_tags_local.bin
area_tags_local.idx
in the database directory. The probably fastest way is
pushd YOUR_DATABASE_DIR
touch area_tags_local.bin
touch area_tags_local.idx
popd

The cause is a little bit intricate. OSM3S should allow for the usage of
derived data structures, and as a showcase the handling of areas is included.
This feature is not mature enough to offer it as part of the regular
interface, but areas if present, can be printed with the print statement.
Unfortunately, the print statement throws an error if a corresponding file of
the database doesn't exist. While useful in general to find errors, its
unhelpful for this optional data structure, which may be absent for good
reason.

However, the workaround above should do it for the moment. I'll fix the
behaviour, by making areas truly optional also in the print statement, with
the next bugfix version.

Cheers,

Roland