[OSM-dev] Newbie questions, introductions and questions about Mac/Objective-C based mapping/Map View using openstreetmap...

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Mar 10 14:54:33 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 03/10/2011 03:46 PM, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> Well,  by routing I mean the ability to show a navigable route on the
> nap from one point to another.

I am still unsure if you are looking for code that does the map display
and all, or just a routing engine that spits out a number of lat/lon
pairs. I don't know if you want routing for a small area for for the
whole world; where will your data be coming from, and are you aware that
data for the whole world has to be preprocessed before it can be used
for routing? Are you perhaps not looking for a routing engine with all
the data storage and preprocessing that entails, but for an API where
you request something over the network? Do you want to compute thousands
of routes or just a few? Do you need routing for different profiles
(pedestrian, lorry, etc.) or just a standard profile?

You might want to look at Gosmore
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Gosmore) - Public Domain (thus easy
to integrate into your application), and reportedly compiles under OSX.

Bye
Frederik