[OSM-dev] perl and special utf-8 characters

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:33:15 GMT 2011

2011/3/11 Gary68 <gary at gary68.de>:
> i want to find out if certain characters (german umlaute) are contained
> in a string that i work char by char.

Hi Gerhard,

I am almost totally ignorant in programming but I guess that if you
don't need the parsing character by character for another operation
there will already be a general solution for this problem in perl
(which might be faster). Recently I did something similar in Postgres
and by reading the manual I found a function called "regex replace"
(or similar). I suggest you search your docu for this term (or search
for "regular expression") and I am 99% sure you will get the answer.

cheers,
Martin