[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Video based speed limit detector

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 16:48:19 GMT 2011

Having a quick look on google scholar shows that there actually appears to be
quite a large set of research literature on exactly this problem. I.e. How
to detect traffic signs in real time from a front facing vehicle camera.

I guess it isn't too surprising given that driver assistant systems appear
to be one of the next big things in the car industry, so I guess they have
pored quite a bit of money into funding research into this.

Some of those articles should give a good indication of what is likely to
work and how difficult these things are and again might have some ready
implemented algorithms.

I don't know what the journal subscription is like at Sri Lankan
Universities and if the relevant journals are open access or not. But if you
(or anyone else) has troubles getting at interesting papers I might be able
to help get them.