[OSM-dev] [GSoC] Video based speed limit detector

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:09:12 BST 2011

Hi,

I had a short look at the proposal. Looking at some of the sample
project proposals on the GSoC page, it looks comparable in detail.

Some thoughts of things you could consider mentioning in the proposal.

- You might want to mention a thing about data collection. For one you
will need some sample video to play around with and test how well things
work. More importantly though, you will likely need data to train the
detection and recognition algorithms on. As you will likely use some
form of supervised learning algorithm for those, you will need a
training set of labeled examples, which you will need to create. I'd
hope that the community will help collecting some raw video material
that can be used, but it will then need to be labeled. Alternatively, or
in addition, there might be some standard training sets for street signs
and speed limits, given that there appears to be a reasonable set of
research literature on the topic.

- It might be good to mention if once you have some basics going, if you
want to take to project either more in the direction of building
something that is fully integrated into the OSM editing ecosystem, or if
you would rather take it more in the research direction of improving the
quality of the detection algorithm, for example using more rich queues
that the video gives you over the single image processing.

In that respect, it might be good to be slightly more specific on the
deliverables, although you want to make sure that you don't over promise
and leave enough freedom for inevitable changes along the line.

- You could also add a section to the end with a more speculative part
of various possibilities of how the project could be extended in the
future. Even though you are likely not going to be able to implement
(all of) it, it might show that you have a good understanding of the
topics involved and enough ideas to independently adapt if some of the
things don't work out.

You might also want to put the project related parts of the application
on a public facing page to give more people a possibility to give
suggestions and comments.

But those are just some thoughts and it should be a good fun project to
work on.

Kai