[OSM-dev] Fwd: Script to extract bbox from history planet

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Tue May 3 19:58:12 BST 2011

Hi

Unfortunately the xml-writer does not yet support compressed output, so
the resulting files are just .osm files. I'll see how huge the areas can
get before my disk runs out of space, while I'll try to implement
compression into osmium.

I though about using one compression-thread per bbox, but I don't know
if this is feasible, because when the splitter is (and I'm sure it is)
faster than the compressor, we need some kind of throtteling which makes
this a very complex task.

Need to think about this a little more.. for now I'll try to cut berlin
and some smaller villages and just see how long it will take.

Peter