[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 5 19:44:19 BST 2011

Hi,

NopMap wrote:
> I tried Locus on my phone and traced the accesses in the server log. I
> positively is the culprit.
>
> Needless to say that the program contains no proper attribution and no
> license hint whatsoever. :-(

 From reading their forums, I get the impression that they had initially
hard-coded a number of tile providers, and then dropped these in favour
of a "user configurable" tile URL in order to avoid trouble with Google
et al.

Leaving morality aside for a moment, I wonder what the attribution
requirement actually is in that situation. Say you make an Android app
that has no built-in tile sources but if you enter an URL in some text
box it will try to load tiles from there.

Does CC-BY-SA require that the application programmer somehow cleverly
finds out that the user has entered the OSM tile server, that this tile
server serves CC-BY-SA tiles, and that the attribution is so-and-so?
Probably not, which means that as long as you don't explicitly support
OSM you don't need attribution, right?

Bye
Frederik