[OSM-dev] Paging the tile server admins

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri May 6 14:20:53 BST 2011

menion wrote:
> Why anyone do not contact me directly rather then discuss here??!!

How on earth are the sysadmins supposed to do that when you don't provide
any contact details in your user-agent string?

The Tile Usage Policy is very clear that you must provide a "valid
User-Agent identifying application". You didn't. People only found out that
it was Locus causing the problems when Grant blocked your faked user-agent,
and served the "Tiles blocked, please ask on IRC" image instead; we then
waited for the first user to crop up on IRC saying what app it was.

Apps like yours are causing _really_ serious problems for OSM contributors.
Mappers' work is taking much longer to be rendered, because the servers are
too busy rendering tiles for your scraping app.

You are making money
(https://market.android.com/details?id=menion.android.locus.pro suggests
Locus Pro retails for €3.99) from our server resources. Our servers have
been funded entirely by donations. In short, you are expecting volunteers,
who think they're donating to OSM, to contribute to your profits.

That sucks. Use your profits to buy your own tile servers.

>  So I changet User-agent to
>    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android; en-us)

The Tile Usage Policy says "Faking another app's User-Agent WILL get you
blocked". You are not Mozilla or even a Mozilla-compatible browser. Your
User-Agent should include the word Locus.

> Just an example, that this should be mainly solved on server I think.

It could easily be solved on the server by blocking your app, and everything
else like it.

Richard