[OSM-dev] "The Future of Areas" - open discussion?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon May 9 12:00:09 BST 2011

Hi,

On 05/09/11 12:21, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> And if one does not like GML, one can select for example GeoJson instead

Oh ;)

> and with Mapserver v. 6.0 all vector formats supported by ogr for writing
> are supported also as WFS outputformats. They are marked as Creation=Yes
> on the list http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_formats.html. I suppose many would be
> attracted by KML. It's a pity that OSM-XML is missing from this list even
> a read-only.

On thing that I would hope to see in a future version of OSM XML is
something - preferably, an attribute to an XML node - that says "this is
artificial, don't upload this anywhere". E.g.

<node id="1" .... transient="1" />

or so. Then, anyone who uses the OSM XML as a transport format could use
that to make sure that if someone accidentally loads the file into an
editor, it wouldn't be taken for "real" and uploaded.

(Could also be done on a per-file basis but I have some use cases in
mind where original OSM objects and
modified-but-please-do-not-upload-these objects would be mixed.)

Bye
Frederik