[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Scott Crosby scott at sacrosby.com
Mon May 23 10:18:05 BST 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Jochen Topf <jochen at remote.org> wrote:

> If we use unsigned ints we have some more time. Problematic would only be
> a few cases where negative IDs are currently used (like in JOSM for data
> thats not yet uploaded to the server). But it seems wasteful to me, to go
> to 64bit a year or so earlier than needed to accommodate this case.

The 64 bit transition is unavoidable. I think this would double the
effort, because we'd all have to go through our software twice, once
to fix signedness bugs, and a second time to go to 64 bits. In
addition, the Java stack couldn't transition to unsigned ints anyways,
as Java lacks unsigned types. An unsigned int transition would be a
64-bit transition.

Scott