[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Tue May 24 11:04:04 BST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 05/24/11 11:24, Igor Brejc wrote:
>
>> This could be a more serious issue. I guess in the history of GIS there
>> has never been such a large geo database as OSM is now becoming. Maybe
>> we (as the OSM community) should take a proactive stance and propose a
>> new version of shapefile format that could cope with 64 bits. Yes, I
>> know this is daydreaming, but shapefile format is getting old anyway.
>> Something using protocol buffers could be a new way to go - easier to
>> write readers and writers and taking less space, too.
>>

> I think in the free/open world, "spatiallite" is trying to be shapefile
> 2.0,

Yes, but is it really? It's a storage format, you need a 3rd party driver to
read it and it's optimized for querying, not for storing high volume of data
in an efficient manner. And it's a database without a standard schema.

I see spatialite as a good way for thick clients to store geo data without
the need for an extra DB installation, but not as a good way to exchange
data files (as opposed to osm.pbf, for example).

Or am I missing something here? I'm interested to know because I plan to add
spatialite support in Maperitive.

Igor