[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:25:26 BST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>wrote:

> Am 24.05.2011 17:05, schrieb Igor Brejc:
>
>  Not necessarily the same thing. Writing protobuf reader is still much
>> easier than implementing something like
>> http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat.html and
>> http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html
>>

> You don't need to *imlement* sqlite on your own, just as well as you don't
> need to implement the protobuf-reading and -writing on your own. There're
> libs for it and you should use them.
>
> Peter

   1. There are various reasons why you _would_ need to implement your own
   reader of a file format, which can be project-specific (performance,
   additional functionality, not supported for your prog. language etc).
   2. sqlite is not exactly a reader, it's a driver. To actually read the
   data, you need to run a query through that driver. This is one of the
   reasons I don't see it as a pure shapefiles replacement.
   3. When talking about protobuffers, there is a distinction between a
   general-purpose library implementing the protobuff protocol and a reader
   which uses this library to read a concrete binary format. In the case of OSM
   PBF I had to write my own reader because there wasn't one implemented in C#.

Igor