[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql for 64-bit IDs

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:35:35 BST 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On 05/24/11 17:05, Igor Brejc wrote:
>
>> Not necessarily the same thing. Writing protobuf reader is still much
>> easier than implementing something like
>> http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat.html and
>> http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat2.html
>>

> If you say so - I thought that dealing with protobuf files without using
> any of Google's libraries was also a challenge.

It is a challenge, yes. But I guess the difference is the purpose: protocol
buffers are intended for efficient binary transmission/storage using a
standardized protocol, while sqlite is about providing an embedded DB engine
and encodes the data the way it suits sqlite the best. Originally it
probably wasn't meant to be read directly by some other library.

But I agree this discussion is out of scope (I did say I was daydreaming ;)
). Anyway, it will be interesting to see how things develop once we switch
to 64bit.

Igor