[OSM-dev] GSoC Project Update (Fast Track Deployment of Customised OSM Tile Server)

Parveen Arora osm at parveenarora.in
Thu May 26 19:26:52 BST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Igor Podolskiy
<igor.podolskiy at vwi-stuttgart.de> wrote:
> Hello Parveen,
Hello Sir
> absolutely. I have successfully run tile servers (in fact, complete OSM
> clones with rails port and all) on what is listed there as "bare minimum".
> Of course, that was for a small region, and with heavily filtered data (only
> boundaries, major roads, and some custom data). That way, I was able to
> rerender all tiles every 10 minutes.

> Parveen, I have a feeling that the main use case you are considering is to
> serve a Slippy Map-like website for the whole world as an audience.
It will be like a software package by using which user will be easily
able to set up his Customised OSM tile server.

> There is nothing wrong with that, of course. On the other hand, the application also
> targets "Companies". I work at a "Company" - we set up our own tile servers
> with a custom style for a small region from time to time, but they are for
> our internal use only, because we need them for one of our projects (we are
> public transportation consultants). I suspect this is a much more common use
> case - albeit much less visible, obviously - than providing a slippy map for
> a broad audience.
>
> What counts here is to be able to set up the server (1) fast and (2) on
> cheap hardware or VMs, and (3) and to be able to more or less quickly cut
> out what you need based on the region and the tags. Tag-based filtering may
> be out of scope of your project, but region extraction should be there.
Yes we will include

> Also, your requirements don't list processor requirements. In my experience,
> many tasks involved in rendering and filtering are CPU-bound, so number of
> cores/processor class is a thing to consider for me, too.
I don't have any exact requirement list, So can you please provide if
you have any or let me know If there is any wiki page for this.