[OSM-dev] GSoC Project Update (Fast Track Deployment of Customised OSM Tile Server)

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Fri May 27 04:57:35 BST 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2011 16:21, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de> wrote:
>> Hello Parveen,
>>
>> On 26.05.2011 05:03, Parveen Arora wrote:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Fast_Track_Deployment_of_Customised_OSM_Tile_Server
>>> Give your suggestions, comments and feedback or anything that you want
>>> to add or delete from it or anything that you want to suggest from
>>> your side will be welcomed.
>>
>> You could consider including a way to just run the server on an extract not
>> only on a full planet.
>>
>> Your site names a few potential "users" of your project. I have the feeling
>> that for most of them the hardware requirements would be too high.
>> By serving only part of the world, for example just a single country the
>> needed resources are a lot less than the figures mentioned in the wiki.
>
> I did a howto the other day on what to do to render smaller areas, as
> a test run I used the South American data file on Geofabrik in a
> virtual machine and only 6G was used in total (world boundaries + osm
> data etc).

I've been successfully rendering on a 384 meg of memory virtual
machine with an 8 gig virtual hard drive.  The only problem is that
the Geofabrik files are not split along tile boundaries, so you can't
render the tiles on the borders of the geographical areas (there are
some solutions for this in the works, though).