[OSM-dev] Some points about cloudmade's style editor (as issues)

Andreas Kalsch andreaskalsch at gmx.de
Wed Nov 2 15:33:23 GMT 2011

I'd like to see cloudmade's great style editor rendering really good tiles. Please take this as
constructive criticism, since my ideas are results of my own detailed observation about different
types of map tiles (Google Maps has still the most sophisticated way of rendering tiles):

In short: Map tiles must have
1) good typography (a neutral readable font) (is valid for OSM's Mapnik, too)
2) distinct small icons
3) rendering according to zoom levels

In issues:
Ability to style ALL lines in a detailed way (as highways)
http://developers.cloudmade.com/issues/show/992
Highway width in smaller zoom levels should be thinner http://developers.cloudmade.com/issues/show/993
Offer (global) font selection or get typography right http://developers.cloudmade.com/issues/show/994
Use vector icons and render them smaller instead of pixel icons that are too big
http://developers.cloudmade.com/issues/show/995

Probably you have some arguments about my proposals.

Thanks,

Andi