[OSM-dev] Incomplete diffs?

marqqs at gmx.eu marqqs at gmx.eu
Sat Nov 5 23:32:49 GMT 2011

Hi Frederik,

thanks for the explanation!

The _replication_ diffs are the right choice if you want to update a full history file.

Most people who update their OSM files on a regular basis do not need replication diffs, they are satisfied with the newest version of each object which has been changed.

> So, if you want to use daily diffs but avoid the danger of missing
> edits, use the replication diff.

Very good advice.

Until today I chose NOT to use the diffs in the planet.openstreetmap.org/history/ directory because they are outdated. They usually come with a delay of 25 hours. Du you know if the creation process could be accelerated somehow?

Now I will attend to osmupdate and try to change from daily normal diffs to daily replication diffs. Seems to be better than loosing objects once in a while.

Meanwhile people can use Osmosis, or run osmupdate with the --hourly option which will restrict the program to replication diffs.

Markus

-------- Original-Nachricht --------