[OSM-dev] how to call from php?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Nov 16 15:31:52 GMT 2011

Hello Judy,

Do you mean embed a map in your website and show POIs as markers?

This is described in the wiki at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenLayers_Simple_Example

For POIs, what you should do is download a planet.osm extract for your area of interest, see

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm

then use Osmosis:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmosis

to extract the data you need, then import that data into a database, e.g. osm2pgsql:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql

You can then generate a feed from the database in a given format (e.g. GeoRSS) from PHP by querying the database, and overlay it on OpenLayers, e.g see
the following for an introduction to OpenLayers:

www.openlayers.org
http://www.soc.org.uk/southampton09/presentations/OpenLayers.pdf
http://www.free-map.org.uk/course/ewt/openlayers.xhtml
http://www.free-map.org.uk/course/ewt/openlayers.2xhtml

Hope I've understood what you want to do correctly!

Nick