[OSM-dev] [Building Lane Model for OSM]How can I get multiple gpx from osm for repeated roads?

donglai donglai at csail.mit.edu
Thu Nov 17 16:47:56 GMT 2011

Hi all:

I'm thinking to build the lane model for OSM using machine learning
techniques. How can I get multiple gpx files from osm database for
certain roads?

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.
Best
D.

Below are my half-baked ideas:

1) Motivation:

a) According to Sebastian Thrun, in order to build the autonomous
driving car, they push google map to 15cm accuracy with lane models !!!
(I guess they do it in an expensive way, maybe only for part of CA to
test their car)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp9KBrH8H04

b) Also, several OSM members have already proposed the lane tag for the
map. However, it'll be a pain for our dear brave volunteers to track and
mark the lane they were in.

2) One possible way out:
a) the bottleneck is that gpx files uploaded by users are often too
noisy to figure out the lane assignment. But we have the "turn
constraint" (change to inner/outer lane before turning left/right) and
relative geometry shape of the route.
b) Given multiple gpx files for one road segment, we can have a robust
estimation of the lane model using machine learning techniques.
c) Also, such technique may be useful for map refinement instead of
asking users to correct by their own where the accuracy is in meters.