[OSM-dev] OSM-3D discussions

Matthias Meißer digi_c at arcor.de
Sun Nov 27 16:47:20 GMT 2011

Am 27.11.2011 17:25, schrieb Komяpa:
>> maintain. There are existing tools that are "the right tool" for 3D
>> modeling.
>
> Could you please name those tools? Easy to use, with rather simple
> format for simple objects, and letting you create a gapless worldwide
> model, and nice license.

You might check this out:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/3D_Development/Modelling#Modelling_tools

I guess Toby points to the existing 3D tools for modeling (Blender, 3D
Max, ...) and architecture. Personaly I agree with the opinion that the
OSM tagging scheme is to restrictive to enter that complex informations
(and side effects as annoied mappers by overloaded building objects).
Thats my intention on starting Open3DMap as a 3D object repository, but
on the other hand I'm absolutly impressed of what already can be done
just with OSM tags and I think we should take the chance to give it a
try and have a look how far we can get with this approach, what is
accepted by the community and so on....
I already have some ideas and together with the 3D rendering guys I hope
to get some experiments next year :)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open3DMap

bye
Matthias