[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql slow slim import

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:12:21 GMT 2011

Hello,
I've just upgraded osm2pgsql to latest SVN version (previously I was
running a version from August, not sure which revision exactly) and I'm
experiencing extreme slow-down in the phase "Going over pending ways".
The processing is going at rate ~ 0.1k/s.
With the old version the import of a relatively small extract took
approximately 1.5 hour, now I'm at 3 hours and the import is still far
from completed.

I have postgresql 9.1 and my import command looks like this:

osm2pgsql --slim -d osm -U osm -p osm --hstore -C 1500 -S ./import.style
-r pbf ./data.osm.pbf

As far as I can tell, the bottle-neck is IO due to UPDATE command. I
have also tried running the import with options '--cache-strategy
sparse' and/or '--disable-parallel-indexing', but as far as I can tell,
it has no effect on this phase.

Any ideas where the problem could be or how to debug this?

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk