[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql, direction of a virtual way (based on a route)

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Oct 26 18:59:58 BST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:36:56PM +0100, Andy Allan wrote:
> [...]
> between the direction of travel and the direction of the way. The
> separation of every bus routes into two bus routes, one for each
> direction, even when they are simply duplications of one another, is
> surely a waste of time and effort.

Most bus routes will not be exact duplications. For instance if the route goes
through a roundabout or over a road with two different ways for the different
directions. So we need the option of having two relations, one for each
direction anyway. And that case will be the one used most often. So having
always two relations is conceptually much easier.

Jochen