[OSM-dev] Deploying Map Tiles on a Commercial Web Host

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Oct 27 13:03:23 BST 2011

Hello Graham,

I am currently doing this, and using option one. This is probably feasible if the area you're trying to render is relatively small: I render Hampshire, Wiltshire, Surrey and West Sussex down to zoom level 14. The rendering takes an hour or two, the upload (just over 100MB) takes a little over 30 minutes. It's fairly feasible to do on a weekly basis.

Can't speak for the other two options - I don't run an always-on home server so that one's a non-starter for me. I'd guess for occasional tile rendering it would be ok.

Nick