[OSM-dev] CORS headers on OSM tiles (for WebGL use)

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 20:02:23 BST 2011

On 18 September 2011 20:18, Jaak Laineste <jaak.laineste at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/9/17 klokan at gmail.com <klokan at gmail.com>:
>> Dear OSM developers,
>>
>> Would it be possible to add the CORS HTTP header: Access-Control-Allow-Origin: *
>> to the OSM tileserver when a tile is requested?
>>
>> It will officially allow to use the OSM tiles as WebGL textures and
>> Canvas source in web browser - both in 3D globes and 2D applications
>> (color adjustments, etc).
>
> Have you considered other options, especially setting up own
> tileserver with all your needed configurations? AFAIK the OSM main
> tileserver (bandwidth) is quite busy, it has the main job to do as
> "preview OSM database map" in openstreetmap.org. So other applications
> (especially of bulk download type) are not really that welcome there.

Since the application in question is just anoter type of map browser I
think it falls in the category of previewing the OSM database state
and can be used by mappers like slippymap.  In fact I can image a
webgl globe as an option on osm.org homepage, I'd love to see it.

I can try preparing a mockup of osm.org with that option if there's interest.

Cheers