[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

kabum uu.kabum at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 17:31:29 BST 2012

Hi,

I thought about this proposal and this is the current state:

The processing part (called "engine") should be seperated from the
interface (website).

engine - this part processes specific changesets and put the resutl into a
database
website - frontend to display stored data (dashboard), mark false
positives/negatives

extensibility of the engine:
- each criteria (for example see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Detect_Vandalism#Criteria - this seems
to be a good base) is represented by a plugin
- plugins return a score (integer) which stored in the database
- different types of plugins:
  ° single changeset scope (i.e.: mass deletion/import, very far movement
of nodes)
  ° multiple changeset scope (i.e.: many changesets within short time per
user)
  ° user related score (i.e.: date of registration, number of edits,
blocked user?)
  ° area related score - mark specific area as a suspicious one for some
time (i.e.: vandalism of a area by several users)
- these scores are may summarized by type and then multiplied/weighted
- engine has to create "fake changesets" containing changes from several
changesets being in relation (user, time window) to detect splitted changes

Result:
- each changeset has a total rating -> use a treshold value to divide them
into suspicious and not suspicious

Testing:

Some questions came up within this preparation:
- Is there a prefered language? Has this to be specified within the
proposal? (language skill has to be rated, so I would decide this during
the project phase)
- I also would like to discuss used libraries and framework within the
project phase, or should I decide this also in my proposal?
- Should the frontend integrate in the current website (ruby on rails
project) or should this just be an optional feature?
- How detailed should be the proposal? Is it enough to formulate this draft?

Point out my mistakes and feel free to ask questions, criticize this draft
and share your ideas and thoughts. :)

Best regards,
Morris Jobke