[OSM-dev] Google Summer of Code

Derick Rethans osm at derickrethans.nl
Tue Apr 3 08:38:24 BST 2012

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012, kabum wrote:

> Result:
> - each changeset has a total rating -> use a treshold value to divide them
> into suspicious and not suspicious

Instead of just using static thresholds, I think that something like SVM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Support_vector_machine) might be highly
benificial here; and it's another cool technology to play with. There is
a cool library for this (http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm/) and
I know there is at least an extension to use it from PHP:
http://phpir.com/support-vector-machines-in-php

> Some questions came up within this preparation:
> - Is there a prefered language? Has this to be specified within the
> proposal? (language skill has to be rated, so I would decide this during
> the project phase)

Not really any preferred language. What did you have in mind? For the
front end I was thinking PHP, but the engine, I wouldn't know. I think
something high performant (so C or C++) might be benificial.

> - I also would like to discuss used libraries and framework within the
> project phase, or should I decide this also in my proposal?
> - Should the frontend integrate in the current website (ruby on rails
> project) or should this just be an optional feature?

I think it can easily live as it's own website.

> - How detailed should be the proposal? Is it enough to formulate this draft?

That's a tricky one, the more information you provide the better I
think, as it shows you have thought about it :-)

cheers,
Derick

--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org