[OSM-dev] minute dumps

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Apr 4 18:55:42 BST 2012

Hi

On 04/04/2012 07:21 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
> This might be getting off-topic to this list but to respond: according
> to this article[1], the author has contacted Bing and that Bing
> "stated that they use no OSM data whatsoever."

This is clearly wrong since Bing have already admitted to use OSM data
for the blurring of military areas in Germany.

I guess it will be the typical communications cock-up with journalists
and press officers. The original sentence probably contained a few
qualifying adjectives which were then omitted in the article.

I think it would, for example, be correct to say that Bing uses no OSM
data whatsoever *in the US* *in its current product range*" - which is
not saying that they don't use OSM data elsewhere, as they do for the
German blurring, and not saying that they don't have any OSM-based
products in the pipeline or at least in the lab either.

(http://frontdoor.cloudapp.net/ doesn't count - it claims to contribute
data to OpenStreetMap but it doesn't *use* OSM.)

Bye
Frederik