[OSM-dev] Licence of the Mapnik style?

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Tue Apr 10 13:28:14 BST 2012

Hello altogether,

with the upcoming adoption of the ODBL for OSM data the licence of common
Mapnik styles will definitely get more important!

I strongly feel the need of a decent map style to be distributed under a
copyleft style licence (IMO Affero GPL would be best suited, but IANAL) to
make shure that any future enhancements will also be freely available.

Currently the licence of a lot of stuff hosted at
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/ including the current mapnik style seems to be
unclear.

The reason why I come up with this question now is that I recently took over
maintenance of the german style (converting it to mapnik2) which started as
a derivative of the international style. Starting from the changes I made I
would like to distribute this style under the terms of the Affero GPL, but I
can not do this without knowledge about the licence of the international
style.

Regards

Sven

--
"The term "any key" does not refer to a particular key on the keyboard. It
simply means to strike any one of the keys on your keyboard or handheld