[OSM-dev] hacking outdoor GPS devices

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 16:34:43 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Mitja Kleider <mitja at kleider.name> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few questions regarding outdoor GPS devices:
>
> * Are you satisfied with the available devices? What would you change first?

I'd add voice notes to any of the hiking Garmin devices.

> * If there was a device with open source firmware, would that be an
> important feature?

I'd be more likely to buy it, but it wouldn't be the only factor.

If that was *all* I cared about, I'd build my own with an Arduino, a
GPS chip, and a voice recorder. Doing all that, even with as little
technical knowledge as I have, I could do in <6 months, except for
being able to have a screen/draw a map.

> * Are you interested in developing your own firmware (if drivers were
> available)?

Too busy with other things.

> * Why would you but an outdoor GPS anyway instead of using your smartphone?

Battery life and robustness. Though, I'll say that the smartphones are
often better in urban environments, where they rely on cell towers and
wifi signals and use a location lookup service.

A GPS in most of Manhattan is fairly inaccurate due to the buildings.

- Serge